Wondering which is the best cryptocurrency gateway in 2021? You have come to the right place.
The appeal of a decentralized currency that is not subject to regulatory red tape and scrutiny has spurred the incredible growth of the crypto industry.
Currently, there are currently over 5300 cryptocurrencies being traded with a total market value of $200 billion.
Crypto experts also predict that the bitcoin market alone will grow to $630 million by 2025, meaning it will be growing at an annual rate of 23.4% by 2025.
You must be asking yourself how crypto payment gateways can ensure you offer your customers the option to pay using their preferred crypto.
With crypto’s growing popularity, many businesses have added crypto as a transaction method. That is where payment gateways come into the picture.
Businesses and corporations that use crypto to transact stand to benefit from the ever-changing paradigm. Let’s look at what they are, how they operate, the benefits, and how they compare. Read on to find the answers to your questions.
What is a Crypto Payment Gateway?
If you have an ecommerce business, there is a high chance you already accept bank and wire transfers as payment methods.
Times are changing, and consumers worldwide are looking for new ways to spend their crypto, and merchants have begun acknowledging crypto as a means of trade.
Sellers can receive payment in any significant cryptocurrencies through payment gateways for crypto. Customers can pay in the form of any crypto they prefer provided it’s accepted by the merchant.
They also convert crypto into fiat (conventional currency), enabling quick transfers. Merchants can effortlessly automate payment by using the different tools provided on these processors. Customers also get to access an incredible range of crypto options.
What’s more? The payment method will be integrated with other forms of digital payment methods such as wire transfer, chip, and pin transactions.
Benefits of a Crypto Payment Gateway
Payment gateways have a variety of benefits, including:
- Speed- transactions are completed almost instantly, unlike conventional methods such as wire transfers. Payment can be sent and received in a split second, so you don’t need a day before the payment is complete.
- Security- users must undergo multiple verifications before the payment can be completed to ensure transparency and safety for both the seller and customer.
- Economic- crypto payment gateways are affordable as they charge very low fees or no fees at all. We can confidently say they are unbelievably cheap compared to traditional fiat methods.
- Simple to use- the process of sending and receiving cryptocurrencies as payment, setting up transfers, and converting to other coins or fiat has been dramatically simplified.
Additional benefits include advanced technology, 24/7 customer service, and custom-tailored solutions for every user.
How does a Crypto Payment Gateway Work?
Simply put, payment gateways for crypto function in various ways, but they are not different from traditional ones. The only difference is that they use digital wallets only and do not accept any form of a credit card.
The primary function is to allow users to transact using a variety of crypto as they would using bank transfer or debit cards.
As a seller, you need to choose the different types of crypto you will accept as payment based on the service offers. Some provide more than 1000 coins, while others are limited to bitcoin and other rising crypto such as stable coin USDT.
Some payment gateways provide both personal wallets and exchange or conversion services. You can connect an existing wallet to bypass exchanges and save money you would have spent on transactions in the long run.
For instance, an American seller decides to accept crypto for their goods. Once a purchase is made in crypto, it’s stored in the personal wallet until the seller changes them to USD and transfers them to their personal account.
It enables the seller to change the payment into different types of crypto, for instance, from BTC to Litecoin.
Here is the step by step working process of the payment gateway:
- When the buyer clicks on ‘place order’ at check out, the web browser immediately encrypts the payment details. It communicates the payment details in crypto to the merchant’s server through an SSL encrypted connection.
- The merchant will then transfer the customer payments details to the platform’s admin through an encrypted SSL connection.
- The admin then further transfers the details to the payment gateway.
- Once a request is launched, the processor sends a confirmation code containing all the required info about the transaction status.
- The acknowledgment code is then forwarded to the application or browser.
- Finally, the site will alert the customer that the payment has been completed successfully.
Although it may seem long, the entire process is completed in seconds.
Features of Crypto Payment Gateway Development
Take a look at some of the features to expect:
- My wallet.
- Account settings.
- Merchants’ tools.
- Transaction history.
- Support ticket system.
- Sign in.
- Admin dashboard.
- Users API category.
- Customer support.
- Commission settings.
- View user.
These features are critical as they ensure secure transactions.
Top 5 Payment Gateways for Cryptocurrency
Now that you know about the role of crypto payment gateways, let us look at the top options you may consider when taking the step to offer crypto payment options to your customers.
Coinspaid prides itself in a portfolio of over 700 merchants, 6 million customers and more than 7 decades of experience dealing in crypto.
Today, Coinspaid processes 5% of all on-chain BTC transactions. The leading crypto payments provider processed €1.25 billion worth of crypto in 2020 and managed over €2.3 billion already this year (August 2021). As of August 2021, Coinspaid has conducted over 9.5 million transactions for eCommerce businesses.
It’s designed with SaaS transaction processors, personal wallets, and multi-currency business wallets. It accepts a variety of cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, USDT, Ethereum, and other leading digital currencies.
Merchants can receive, store and exchange cryptocurrencies or use them to pay for other expenses through their crypto wallet.
Sellers can also change the crypto accepted to traditional currencies such as USD, AUD, and GBP. Coinspaid boasts of more than 50 currencies that users can exchange, including at least 20 national coins. It also offers 0% transaction fees, and there are no hidden or upfront fees during transactions.
- Awards: AIBC Summit Awards: Payment Provider of the Year and 1st crypto gateway to pass 2 security audits (Kaspersky Labs & 10Guards).
- A cumulative processed transactions’ value of $5.35 billion.
- Has over 7 years of experience serving online businesses.
- Top-notch security, regularly audited by Kaspersky.
- Highly flexible meaning sellers can customize and scale gateway to their liking.
- Legal, marketing and technical support available 24/7.
- Minimal transactions fees and commissions.
- Competitive revenue sharing.
- Low setting up costs.
Launched in 2014, Coingate has become a trusted and reliable platform for crypto enthusiasts. It integrates with Shapeshift, allowing users to transact all sorts of cryptocurrencies, and also provides a wide range of plugins for eCommerce platforms.
- Fees and commissions of 1%.
- Accepts a variety of cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin.
- User-friendly mobile app for all devices.
- Fast deposits and withdrawals.
Coinpayments supports an extensive list of cryptocurrencies which explains its popularity in the crypto market.
The number of crypto supported exceeds 1200, and each of them can be converted to fiat on the platform. It also has one of the most affordable commissions giving it a competing edge among similar service providers.
- Minimal transaction fees of 0.5%.
- Integrates with all major ecommerce platforms such as WooCommerce and Shopify.
- Easy to use mobile application for Android and iPhone.
- Offers up to 50% discount on services such as hosting and set-up costs.
The best feature about this payment gateway is the two-way authentication. Users are assured of secure transactions and fast withdrawals as Bitpay also comes with a function that lets a merchant set the withdrawal speed.
- Low commission of 1%.
- Supports 90+ crypto wallets.
- Accepts national currencies from 38 countries.
- Transacts crypto, fiat and a mix of both.
Are you a small-scale merchant looking for a payment gateway for crypto? Opennode is designed for small businesses that intend to start accepting crypto as a transaction method.
- Super-fast transactions.
- Low-cost withdrawals and deposits.
- Simple to navigate and easy to use.
- Works with a variety of ecommerce platforms.
Payment gateways for crypto come in handy for merchants looking to expand their businesses and reach more customers.
Unlike fiat currency that is highly regulated and expensive for sellers, these gateways are secure, easy to use, and less costly.
As cryptocurrency adoption increases, more players are entering into the payment gateway business.
This list comprises the top five providers that have proven themselves to be reliable, responsive to customer feedback and remain affordable for all parties.
Use this as a guide to select the crypto payment gateway that suits your unique needs.
A suitable gateway should charge low fees, offer multiple services, guarantee secure transactions for users and have exceptional customer service.